What is my goal for writing this essay?
My goal is to review two change models applied to my research area of “How might we successfully change our Y7/8 Technology courses to include aspects of the DT|HM curriculum”. To get a picture of where we are, so that we might then go on to evaluate the questions of
- how do we do this?
- how do we get buy in from everybody?
- how do we excite and educate our teachers about this new curriculum?
It will also be an opportunity to analyse the literature around this topic.
What information do I need to include?
- History of the previous classroom context
- New curriculum requirements
- Reasons for change
- How it will change
- Two change models and their application. Initially thinking Davis’s Arena(2018) and Rogers(2003).
How will the information be organised?
- A collection of annotated literature will be developed in my blog.
- The essay will continue to be informed by readings and the Learn site.
What is the personal change context you would like to focus on?
The context will be focused on my own classroom and the modelling and testing of what could be done, that will be able to be applied to other classes at the same level initially.
What is the central thesis or key question you aim to answer drawing on the research on change with digital technology in education?
How can we adapt our courses to successfully integrate the new DT|HM curriculum, while being mindful of the changes and upskilling that will be required from our teachers.
What are the main themes you plan to address in the body of your essay (bullet points)?
- Background information
- New curriculum demands
- Why are we doing it?
- How are we doing it?
- How are we supporting our teachers?
- Two change models applied
- Review of models
What conclusions do you anticipate?
- That it is an important area for us to focus on and that the integration has merit.
- That we have asked too much of our teachers. Perhaps done too much at once.
- That we could have provided more training.
- That we have not conveyed what the new curriculum actually involves.
Davis, N. (2018). Digital technologies and change in education: The arena framework. London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
Rogers, E. M. (2003). Attributes of innovations and their rate of adoption. In Author, Diffusion of Innovations. 5th ed. (pp. 219-266) New York, NY: Free Press.